Monday, February 22, 2010

Comics and Woes

          I thought I'd share one of my favorite webcomics. I have an enormous amount of respect for Zach Weiner, the creator of Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. He has updated every day without fail with a hilarious, quality comic since I started reading it. I also love Scott Ramsoomair's popular VG Cats & Super Effective that focus on video game culture and Pokemon, respectively. The comics are again high quality and funny, but Scott fails to update...well...ever. Once or twice every two months if anything.
      
                On an unrelated note, I've been looking for another job lately because my current one isn't cutting it...at all. I'm literally getting ZERO hours a week and the manager say's they have me "on call". (aka, hours are cut like crazy and you're never around so we don't need you) In my defense, I have every right not to be available: I'm in COLLEGE so I can get a better job once I'm done. I truly think one of the most difficult demographics of people to land jobs are college students, especially those who live on campus. This is because we have often strange availability hours that change every semester, live hours away from our hometown, and have several vacations throughout the year. Each one of those is an obstacle and severely hinders flexibility. Face it, employers don't want to work around a crazy schedule like that! In my case, because I live on campus, I live 40 minutes from home and an hour from work. It's difficult keeping work at home because I'm only available on weekends. Traveling and homework with my class hours can't coincide. On the other hand if I get a job around campus I won't be around on vacations or summer break. It's very tough and I applaud anyone who gets it to work for them. Hopefully I can land a second job soon.

What do you find is the most difficult thing to balance lately?
   

No comments:

Post a Comment